Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Darwin continued - a life of bliss!

One week into our out-placement. I feel so lazy!
We've had a settle-in, spent a day and a half at Sunrise, hung out at Darwin Corps for a Scout Church Parade on Sunday (about 180 ppl!) and since then I've been on Officers' Fellowship in Katherine (for those who don't know, Officers' Fellowship is usually an annual get-together for all the Salvo Officers in a Division/Region -eg. all the Officers in NT - to share a time of networking, learning, support, vision and fun). Well anyway, we've been thoroughly spoilt by our awesome hosts!
It has been a great intro finding out what makes the Salvos up here 'tick' and I'm already finding myself sooooo inspired by each one of these people - I'd happily follow any NT officer in ministry! (actually I wish I had 3 months to spend in EVERY area of the Salvos ministry here!).
In Katherine (3hrs Sth of Darwin) we were blessed to go on a 'cruise' down Katherine Gorge (it wasn't as 'cruisy' as it was 'rapid'!), we had a blast! Interesting was the increase in Aboriginal population, it seemed to be 50/50 Aboriginal and Caucasian (+ others). I found it amazing how much more 'normal' it seemed for people to be sitting around in the grass - whereas even in Darwin you get the feeling their culture is still not fully accepted. I'm really looking forward to finding out more and sharing with different cultures face-to-face. I tell you what, the work some of the officers here do to reach Indigenous people is amazing!

Today Pete & I went to a Crocodile Farm on the way home from Katherine (yes, there are FARMS for crocodiles!!! For meat and for skins). It was very cool and a bit scary - one other Aussie tourist was charged from behind a wire-mesh fence - the fence was pretty mangled, but thankfully still intact! I was amazed at the number of eagles hanging around the farm, it was simply awesome (yes, I got photos, get ready for some nice powerpoint backgrounds for "Eagles Wings"!!).

I caught up with some ArmyBarmy blog-reading today (Capt. Stephen Court - Training Principal @ the College) and the following really caught me:

"Don't hold back your sons and daughters from becoming officers. Unless they are specifically called otherwise, there is nothing better they can do."

I believe it! If you're called to serve God, there is nothing in life that is worth your time more than following what God wants for you. For Pete and I, being officers in the Salvation Army is our calling, a deep desire of our hearts, we know what God wants for us to do - nothing else can satisfy us in life! I thank God so much that we both have parents who have not only allowed us to begin the journey, but so strongly supported, blessed and encouraged us so that we can continue to the end. The people around you can be such a huge blessing in your journey, make sure you keep your 'blessers' close (you'll need them!) and be a blessing to those who aren't ready to support your journey.
If you're not called to do anything else.... becoming an officer might be God's BEST for you! and if its the best... nothing else in life will compare!

1 comment:

Shaz said...

Keep the blogs coming - it's great to hear about what you are up to. Enjoy all the learning and experiences. May God continue to bless you.
Sharryn


Stop The Traffik