Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Friday, June 01, 2007

How can a Po-mo live with Mo?

Are you Po-mo or Mo? how are you getting on with the transition?
I've recently been reading "Postmodernism and the Salvation Army" (TSA Triterritorial Theological Forum - AUS, AUE, NZ, FiJI & TONGA). In one chapter, it talks about how symbolism is a huge part of the Salvation Army's 'thing'. It says,
"Postmodernity.. offers a number of new opportunities for the Army to embrace. These include symbolism that is:

  • less word, more visually centred;
  • less cerebral, more exponentially based;
  • less metanarrative, more personal narrative encouraged;
  • less explanation, more mystery allowed;
  • less formality, more play and artistic expression;
  • less structure, more creativity;
  • less order, more party celebration;
  • less control, more transparency and vulnerability"

I can see these tensions playing themselves out in my life at the moment. The question I grapple with, is how can a postmodernist live with modernism? The answers?

  • Become Modernist - let the system shape you
  • Change others to Postmodernists - shape the system
  • struggle somewhere in the middle - grapple with the issues, not let it take you over
  • Give up - ignorance is bliss (yeah right)

I hope I'm a 'struggler', but sometimes think I might be a 'everyone needs to get with po-mo, NOW!' kind of person (maybe trying to make up for the Mo's dragging their feet!).

One more list of dot points for you.... about structures that will enrich the Army for the future.
"The institution that will work for us in the postmodern era is one that:

  • thanks God for its potential contribution to renewal and mission;
  • can distinguish between purpose and process;
  • is strong on vision and mission while being relaxed about boundaries;
  • holds itself up to scrutiny and acknowledges its own transitory nature;
  • can laugh at itself;
  • listens intently to those at the grass roots;
  • is saturated by grace."

I think perhaps that last point holds some answers for Po-mo's and Mo's living in harmony and taking this transition on.... GRACE.
Lord send us more grace, we need it to remain united for your purpose - to be a SALVATION Army. Amen.

6 comments:

Gordon said...

Alan Roxborough talks about a place called communitas where the two voices come together in creative tension which is key in engaging with the transistion that the western world is experiencing. It is a book called 'the sky is falling...'

I think you are right the voices can only hear each other with grace

Captain Andrew Clark said...

I'm a Po-Po-Mo....I've come through the other side of postmodernism to become a post-post-modernist. :) Po-Po-Mo's simply realise that the world is lost, no matter how much they think they are found, and that its our mission to save them.

To the war, to the war!

yours
Andrew C

Lieutenant Jo said...

I agree with that Andrew...
I'm struggling with the po-po-mo thing too... Post-modernism is a transition, I wonder if we've arrived at a new place yet?

I can't hack the "relative truth" thing... the Dalai Lama is visiting a stadium across the road from the Training College today and I find myself all torn up... those people need JESUS, not fake peace! I really hope my prayers are effective, because I don't know what else to do!
Jesus is the truth.

Discover Leadership said...

Congrats on a great post Jo! This captures well the weaknesses of TSA being a modern organisation in a post-modern world.

Anonymous said...

C.A.C.

I have read your stuff a bit over the past year or so.
I really don't think you have much understanding of PO at all........ so I doubt you are a po po mo.
Your a Po hating Mo maybe?


Po man.

Lieutenant Jo said...

Hi Po Man, not sure what C.A.C. means...
I'm not out to get all defensive, but it is slightly offensive to me that you could be so judgemental when you claim to be Po.
But hey - each to their own, you stick with Po my brother and reach the Po's for Jesus...
I'll continue to struggle with how Po or even Po-Po worldviews can be reconciled with the God of truth.

Thanks for the comment, don't be afraid to put a name to your words, I like to know who it is I'm talking to...
peace to you.


Stop The Traffik