Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Monday, October 22, 2007

Let the weak say "I am Strong!"

Thanks to Pakenham Corps I had the opportunity to attend the Global Leadership Summit over the last weekend. I heard some awesome leadership insights, but I must say its pretty weird sitting in a room full of people clapping for a speaker who is on DVD! (and even funnier when the speaker asks a question and people answer! hehe!).
Aside from having a great time, I learnt some valuable lessons about how to grow as a leader. One of the most dynamic speakers we heard from was Marcus Buckingham (who works with the Gallup Poll people). He spoke about the common misconception people have - that to improve (as people and as leaders), we should work on fixing our areas of weakness.

Marcus' view was that many societies have taken this on, to the point that our children are recieving the message that the things they aren't good at are more important than the things they do really well (their strengths). What kind of people are we setting them up to be? Adults that are guilt-ridden by the fact that they aren't good enough...
How confident can a leader be in their abilities when they are living out of this paradigm???

Instead, Marcus said to build on your strengths and manage around your weaknesses. Just as we would expect Tiger Woods to work on his golf swing, instead of practicing scales on piano.

This also applies to working as a team...
Instead of trying to make every member of a team seperately well-rounded, we should realise that a team is most well-rounded when the members aren't. What this means, is that when each member is working from their strengths, the team is stronger.

Now I think that this is pretty important to us who are working with the body of Christ, in ministry teams... Lets seek to engage people in their areas of strength, use what they do well to serve the Lord! Don't try to do everything well, but work on building a team who are strong in areas where you are weak (don't forget the importance of acknowledgement, thanks and encouragement).

Personally, we each need to find our areas of strength and then get 'buff' for Jesus!


On a completely unrelated note, check out this cool photo I took at the summit...
I call it "Field of Chairs"

2 comments:

james said...

great post jo!!!!

I completely agree! I would love the opportunity to spend most of my time with my gifts! Thats a dream I have. Im pretty sure I'll get that opportunity soon!

keep posting, and the photo below is rreally cool, im gonna steal it...

Darren Lamotte said...

Great Post

We seem so desperate to make everyone rounded and multi skilled that we dont utilise properly the gifts that God has given each of us.
I am not great at little details that is why I married Susan ! but when it comes to the dreams and visions and interacting with people bring it on.
Lets just pray that we as a church start to embrace people for the sjkills they have and use them to grow His Kingdom !

God Bless
Darren


Stop The Traffik