Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

SALVATION... SPIRIT... GOT IT??

Do you ever wonder if people really know what it means to be saved? As a Christian who is still young, but has learnt a few things along the way, I am starting to wonder if we're getting a little bit mushy around the edges with our definitions. Lately I've been Blog-hopping in Salvo circles, going to a lot of classes at Salvo college, some at Whitley too and generally having chats with different people.... and you know the more I hear, the more confused I get. I'm the kind of person who likes to keep things simple (I didn't say anything about clean or neat!!!), to have truths in my life that are unchanging.... God loves me, my husband loves me, the sun will rise, I'm living life for Jesus, that kinda stuff.

From all different sources I'm starting to hear some warped things

  • people mixing religions the same way they mix drinks (being a Salvo, I don't know how to do either!)
  • people watering down what God requires of his kids (evangelism, passion, growth, commitment)
  • people forgetting what being a Christian (or a Salvo), is really about (saving souls... anyone??)
  • people thinking that you have to 'make it' as a Christian before you can do ministry (just live it and do what the Holy Spirit says!)

I want to hear some more Catherine & William Booth's around, some more Samuel Logan Brengle's stirring the place up, some Isaiah's and Paul's getting in your face with the real deal!!!! Catherine Booth was one smart and spirit-filled lady, she didn't beat around the bush, she let everyone know what the truth was and then challenged people to think about it... what a woman of God! In her "Aggressive Christianity" sermons/book, she provides some pretty hard-hitting definitions of what Salvation really is... and never tries to water it down, in fact she expands on it so much that your head almost explodes with the force of truth in it!!! (Read it! I dare you..)

The thing that is frustrating me to the point of screaming - is the stuff I'm reading in these books (add "Revolution" and surprise, "The Bible"), holds answers for the kind of Christian I KNOW I want to be, this is the mission I want to live!!!! the conviction I want to have!!! In these books I see a passion so far beyond just 'really liking' something... there's a passion in there that threatens to be an all-consuming desire of your life! (Oh, Lord make it so!)

I want to see a passion with legs, walking around the place and stirring things up!!! I want the Holy Spirit live and active in more people's lives, to the point where they're so passionate they seem nuts!!! Anyone else want to see another Pentecost??? Please if you have influence over the spiritual lives of others, I implore you....

DON'T REST UNTIL YOU HAVE THIS PASSION OF THE HOLY SPIRIT FOR YOURSELF!!!
THEN LET IT SO INVADE YOUR LIFE - THAT YOU WILL ALLOW IT TO SPILL IT OVER ALL THOSE AROUND YOU!!!

How can we be happy with second-best, when we could have life in abundance through the Holy Spirit! Don't allow your Christianity to be watered down, get the Holy Spirit now... just ask and see what he will do with you!!!

"In the last days, God said, I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams.
In those days I will pour out my Spirit upon all my servants, men and women alike, and they will prophesy." ACTS 2:17-18

5 comments:

CheekyUkie said...

Yeah - I reckon we can sometimes be so over 'programmed' with our programmes we run as salvos that we forget our main objective, you know, the saving souls part and saving the lost.

I remember one day at training college we were planning a mission weekend, everything seemed sorted and well organised, what use to bug me was the thought some cadets had in that they wanted everything to be perfect, well presented because it could give them good grades or whatever. Now this went on and on until I mentioned something??? I said we had forgotten something in our programme? The reply came from the group, "what did we miss out?" Then I said cheekly, the Holy Spirit!

For revolution, for passion to build up in our lives we need to get back to basics and let the Holy Spirit wash over our souls, cause some of us need a bit of washing of souls, to dream dreams, have visions and to refire a burning passion for God, for the lost, and for the calling God has place upon our lives!

So yeah, God so ROCKZ da socks of my feet - forsure!!! laterz...

Anonymous said...

I agree whole-heartedly with what you're saying.

I'm also a Salvationist, and I've often had the same thoughts.

God Bless You.

Corina

Rob said...

Keep the fire burning white hot! The Army sorely needs cadets like you who will tear the world up with their passion and committment to seeing souls saved.

Lieutenant Jo said...

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Bless you back x 10

Please pray for the Cadets over here in Aust South, such a passionate bunch, we need prayer for the fire to be fueled!!! We've got big dreams for our Army...
God is SO good!!

james said...

this is such a better blog site jo! so much easier!!!

im with ya! Ive had a gut full of people watering down the gospel, and like u said mixing drinks! Theres also those who are on the other end, who are so rigid and so unloving. I dont know how these people can have such a revelation yet be so unloving?!?

We need to be passionate about the gospel of love and declare it and lead people to the loving living God.

Jesus said, "I am way the truth and the life, no one gets to the father but by me!" hallelujah


Stop The Traffik